The Manhattan Transfer - Twilight Zone / Twilight Tone (1979) - Nightlife Dancefloor Disco Version - with Janis Siegel on lead vocals

 When I heard this song on the radio, I thought it was sung by a black African-American queen of the disco, named, Catherine Russell, then I thought Dianne Marie Harvey, then Ednah Holt from Ednah Holt & Starluv, next thing I thought "Twilight Zone / Twilight Tone" was sung by a black American disco queen, Melba Moore, then I thought Suzi Lane, then I also thought Diva Gray. I wish this song, "Twilight Zone / Twilight Tone" would have been sung by Miquel Brown, Joyce Cobb or Debbie Jacobs, but none of those black disco queens wanted to sing it, so instead Janis Siegel wanted to sing this disco tune in a powerhouse disco style.

I like this shorter version better without the Halloween sci-fi spoken narrations from "The Twilight Zone", plus it's more nightlife disco than the full original that's too experimental.


Manhattan Transfer
"Twilight tone"
Lyrics and composition: Jay Graydon, Bernard Herrmann, Alan Paul

Here's what the story says:

This rather awesome track that used the iconic theme song of the anthology TV series as an intro gave the jazz quartet The Manhattan Transfer their second Top 40 hit, which peaked at #30 on Billboard's Hot 100 chart in 1979, and was an even bigger hit on the Dance charts, going all the way to #4. Initial pressings of the record mistakenly listed Bernard Herrmann as composer, when it was in fact Marius Constant that penned the well-known version of the TV theme; this was corrected in later pressings.



  original version on the album Extensions
written by Marius Constant, Alan Paul, and Jay Graydon
© copyright 1979 Atlantic Records Corp, April Music Inc, Garden Rake Music Inc, Heen Music. All rights reserved.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Diana Ross - I'm Coming Out / Give Up (1980) - with Chic

Donna Summer - Try Me, I Know We Can Make It (1976)